Flooring for Children
Children spend about 90 percent of the day indoors - at home, at school or kindergarten. So it is important that a high-quality
material surrounds them. The choice of a suitable floor needs a special emphasis. It should be warm, comfortable, hygienic
and easy to clean. In kindergartens and schools, especially the natural linoleum
or a vinyl flooring
is a good choice.
Please select an application.
Special requirements for floor coverings
- Hygiene, cleaning and maintenance
- Carpets are less suitable for children areas. Ideal is a seamless, continuous, closed surface, which for example can be implemented
with linoleum or vinyl. Linoleum is naturally bacteriostatic. But even vinyl flooring offers no growth potential for bacteria.
- Slip resistance, security and elasticity
Floor coverings must ensure slip resistance and should minimize the risk of injury. For entrances, corridors, recreation halls,
classrooms, group rooms and stairs a class R9 is recommended. For toilets, washrooms, kitchens, machinery and plant rooms,
in some countries the class R10 is recommended. Stone floors should be used for children's facilities only in exceptional
cases. There might be additional or different values locally required in the European countries.
The acoustic values for linoleum are approximately between 3-6 dB, the values for Vinyl between 2-4 dB. Special acoustic versions
as DLW Linoleum Marmorette AcousticPlus or Favorite Acoustic achieve high values of 17 dB.
- Vinyl floor coverings offer an almost unlimited variety of designs. Since the raw material is a PVC thermoplastic material, it is the only one
of flooring, which can be welded to provide a smooth, completely closed surface. The floors are slip resistant and easy to
keep clean. Special acoustic collections are offered for sound insulation and increased comfort underfoot.
- Textile Floor Coverings
- In facilities for small children textile coverings are rarely used. They can not be cleaned as thoroughly and hygienically.
In day care centers we recommend the natural linoleum product. In schools also vinyl flooring can be used. Transitions between indoor and outdoor area should provide dirt collecting zones
and in sanitary areas and kitchens slip-resistant floorings should be installed with R10.